House Rules at The Commons:
Savannah Davanzo - Community Manager - [email protected]
Daniel Friedland - Founder - [email protected]
Building Staff - 212-360-1900
- We hope you’ll enjoy working at The Commons! Our most important guideline is that you please respect the people working around you and treat The Commons with care—this is your workspace. Please let us know if you have any questions or concerns about these house rules or any other aspect of The Commons. We really appreciate your feedback.
- Member Communications: All members are invited to join us on our Slack channel. Any important updates will be sent to your email address, but Slack is a great place to meet your fellow members, stay aware of events and member perks, and let people know what you’re working on.
- After Hours: If you’re using the space after 6PM, on weekends, or any time a Community Manager isn’t present, please keep the main door closed and be sure it’s left closed behind you. If nobody else is working, feel free to turn off most of the lights (except for corridor or kitchen) when you leave.
- Kisi: Kisi is our keyless entry app which allows access to the building’s front door and our door on the 5th floor. Please do not use Kisi to allow non-members entry to The Commons. Kisi access is intended for members only.
- Guests: You are welcome to invite guests into The Commons for short meetings of up to one hour. If they remain for longer, we ask that they purchase a day pass. Please keep guest visits reasonably limited. Of course, you are free to have guests join you anytime you have reserved the conference room. Guests are allowed only between the hours of 9AM-6PM. Your guests should feel free to take water, coffee, tea, or any other snacks.
- Phone Booths: The phone booths are first come, first served. Please be aware if others are waiting to use the phone booths and try to limit your calls to a reasonable time. The VOIP phones in the phone booths are available for you to make domestic calls.
- Conference Room: The conference room can be booked by members as available and during the hours your membership plan gives you access to the workspace. Additional hours not provided in your membership plan can be reserved for $40 per hour. Conference room bookings can be done through our member website at thecommonsnyc.com and are limited to a minimum of thirty minutes and a maximum of three hours per booking. If the conference room is not booked, please feel free to work there for a reasonably limited time (you may use it for a short phone call or videoconference as you would one of the phone booths). Use of the conference room to meet with guests must be booked. Conference room hours do not roll over from month-to-month. The VOIP conference phone, display, and video chat programs are available for you to use (domestic phone calls only).
- Printing: The printer/copier/scanner is available to use per your membership plan. If your laptop does not locate the printer automatically, please ask the Community Manager for the installer. The printer driver provides additional features not enabled without it. We reserve the right to charge for additional printing and copying (scanning is free of charge) beyond your allotted printing credits at the following rates: $0.05 per black and white printed sheet and $0.20 per color printed sheet. Printing allocations do not roll over from month-to-month.
- Quiet Area: The mezzanine is a quiet area. Please keep in-person conversations to a minimum - or very hushed - and take phone or video calls elsewhere.
- Coffee: If you’d like to operate the brewer or grinder, please ask the Community Manager for guidance or refer to the instructions in the kitchen. If you need only a few cups of coffee, please don’t waste a full brew - there are grounds available (both decaf and regular) and french presses or a pour-over cone for you to use.
- Use: The Commons is to be used for professional purposes only. Unauthorized use of the space may result in immediate termination of membership. Any activites which disturb or offend other members, or which are not congruent with The Commons terms, house rules, policies, or standard of conduct, may be grounds for termination of membership, effective immediately, in The Commons sole discretion.
- Keeping Clean: We would love it if you’d make sure your work area is left clean behind you and any glasses, dishes, or mugs are left in the sink or put in the dishwasher (if set to dirty). We currently recycle bottles and cans (in the kitchen) and paper (by the copier). We expect to soon begin single stream recycling that will also include other items.
- Terms & Conditions: These house rules are a supplement to the Terms & Conditions/License Agreement you agreed to upon creation of your member account. That agreement will be updated periodically and is available at www.thecommonsnyc.com. Please be aware that by using The Commons you confirm that you have accepted the Terms & Conditions/License Agreement.
- Changes: These house rules may change from time to time as needed and in the sole discretion of The Commons. Please let us know if you have any questions.
Thanks so much! We’re glad you’re a part of The Commons.